Monday, May 4, 2015

Saying Goodbye to PoMoSco


It is now May 4th, which means that PoMoSco has been over for four days! I am so glad I had the chance to participate; although I didn't complete all the prompts (I managed 27 out of 30), I have come out of the month of April with 27 new poems. Many of them will be pieces I can now edit to my heart's content, and some have given me both new subject matter for future pieces and new ways of looking at certain themes/topics that I might never have come up with on my own. So, without further ado, here are my favorite poems from the last week-and-a-bit of PoMoSco.
  • How You Saved the Day: my source text for this was a collection of poems by one of my favorite writers, Julia Alvarez.
  • To the Voices: After finishing this one I realized how similar it was to my White Out poem, Wickedness. 
  • The Country by Seaside: I really loved the premise of this prompt--to travel to your local library, and on your journey note something you saw along the way. Then you had to find 5 books related to whatever that topic was, and draw your words/phrases for the poem from the first 5 pages of each of those sources. This poem was therefore inspired by seeing sheep!
  • A Small Sample is a series of haikus created from my source text. I never write haiku but after doing so for an earlier prompt, I realized how beautiful the form can be.
The PoMoSco site will remain open to access by the public until mid-May so my poems will be readable until then. I hope you've enjoyed the chance to follow along with me in my month-long poetic journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment